iMessage App: One of the major drawbacks in the Apple’s video chat app, FaceTime is the absence of the facility of a group video chat which is present in the other competitive applications in the market like Skype, OoVoo, Houseparty and the very popular Facebook messenger. It seems like even Apple has realized this shortcoming since there are strong rumors that the brand’s major upcoming version of the operating system iOS 11 will incorporate the facility of group video chat in the FaceTime which will be available from the iMessage itself, the popular messenger service of Apple. But the good news is that the users can still enjoy a Group video chat on FaceTime in iMessage and that is possible by using the Smack’s Fam app.
Download Fam From the iOS iMessage App Store:
Getting the Fam App
To be able to enjoy the group video chat on FaceTime, the user must have the Fam app. It can be easily downloaded from the App store and is free to use.
Enabling the Fam App
The second important thing is to ensure that the Fam app is enabled for iMessage. Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to the messages app on your phone and click on a right pointing arrow right beside the place where you type the text.
- Click on the App store icon.
- You will see an icon with the four dots on the lower left corner of the screen. Tap on it to open the app drawer.
- Then tap on the ‘store’ icon with the ‘+’ sign to open the iMessage app store.
- Tap on the ‘manage’ tab on the top right corner of the screen and turn on the Fam using the toggle button.
Creating the Fam
Now that the Fam app is installed and enabled, the user can start with the group video chat from within the iMessage app using the following steps:
- When you are in conversation with the people with whom you want to video chat in a group, tap on the icon that point towards the right, next to the message field in the iMessage app.
- Then tap on the icon of App store.
- You will notice an icon with the four dots on the lower left corner of the screen, tap on that to open the app drawer.
- Tap on the Fam icon.
- Tap on the ‘create group video’ button to create a link for the group chat.
- Click on the send button to send that link to the concerned people.
Joining the Fam
As a final link to the video chat, the people who want to be a part of the Group video chat should tap on the link card. In case, they do not have a Fam app, they will be prompted to download. With a minimum of two people, the group chat is initiated in the iMessage app itself and the video feeds of all the members are shown in a grid form.